Do you ever feel that you are completely in control of a situation? That you know exactly what to do and precisely what response you will get? It’s almost as if there’s an unspoken plan and if you merely follow the proper steps you’ll get what you want.
I often get this feeling around men. I love men, don’t get me wrong, but most of the moves – the flirting, innuendo and strategic touching is just all too easy to figure out, and it sort of takes the fun out of the whole scene. Yes, there is some variance depending on the circumstances, but it’s all too similar.
- Step 1: Meet – at a bar, a friends party, etc
- Step 2: Flirt and strategic touching – I don’t mean anything naughty here, I mean the “You’re so funny” shoulder touch and that sort of thing
- Step 3: Exchange numbers
- Step 4: Phone or text flirting which is usually innuendo-laden
- Step 5: A date – complete with more flirting and strategic touching, and depending on how much you like the guy perhaps some light innuendo possibly a kiss or at least lingering hug at the end
- Step 6: Deal is sealed. – I don’t mean sex here (but that’s fine) I just mean at this point the guy is basically hooked, barring any craziness and unforeseen problems.
So there you go. All of the steps to a fine romance. I’ve done that so many times it’s not even funny. Don’t get me wrong, it’s still mostly fun and exciting, but the thrill of the chase is a little lacking when I know what’s going to happen long before it materializes.
The sad thing is that while I generally feel very much in control when it comes to the opposite sex, I have the opposite feeling in my professional life. (Or rather the lack thereof.) I think I’d much rather the roles be reversed, and feel in charge of my professional life and all-a-twitter and surprised by men. But that’s probably just me wanting something I can’t have.